I’m finally getting round to writing a blog post in 2018. Hurrah! This weekend, I’m going to sit down and plan out posts for the next few weeks as I have all these ideas written on paper that I need to format into a blog post. Although in the meantime, I’m going to start this year off with a post on my 2017 Goals Achieved & Goals for 2018.
For the last few years, I’ve written up goals for the forthcoming year and then reflected on it at the end of the year. So to keep up with this trend this year will be no different. Even if no one else reads them, I enjoy writing them for myself.
In 2017, I set goals for:
- Achieving my target weight
- Become more organised
- Learn a new language
- Grow my social media channels
- Travel more
- Save money
- Stick to a fitness regime
- Learn to say no
So the question I should ask now is did I actually achieve any of these?
- Unfortunately, I haven’t achieved my weight target as I was hoping but I haven’t really gained any weight either. I have, however, booked a six week anytime swim pass so I will be taking full advantage of that over the next few weeks to hopefully shed this unwanted weight once and for all.
- I have and I haven’t. I started off being organised but then I felt I was starting to have a bit of a quarter-life crisis on what I’m doing with my life and what I want to be doing, so it kind of fell to the wayside a bit. Although I’m hoping this year that with a bit more direction of where I’m heading, I should be able to keep on top of everything, but fingers crossed!
- Okay, I can’t say I’m fluent in another language but I have been studying German, French and Dutch on the Duolingo app. You could say it’s a little ambitious to learn three at once but I do find that they kind of help each other. It’s just mastering the accents which I probably butcher tbh, so apologies if one of these is your mother tongue! Although I did find using Duolingo came in handy when visiting Amsterdam and Paris as I was able to translate words in my head but I wouldn’t go as far to say I could speak it, mind you.
- The only one I’ve really grown is Instagram and that’s maybe only by a couple of hundred followers. Unfortunately, I just have not been as active as I should be on my channels so they’ve kind of just steadied. I always get that feeling that I’m too boring and uninteresting and unless you’ve got something funny or controversial to say, people aren’t always overly that interested.
- They may not be the most exotic places and might be very popular tourist destinations but I did get to visit Paris and the Lake District again, as well also visit Amsterdam which has been on my bucket list for years.
- I’m still working on this one but I have cut down my spending on unnecessary beauty products because it’s all the latest craze in the blogosphere. I tend to do extensive research on products rather than blow my money on cheap products that may or may not work. As a result, I tend to treat myself to more luxury brands. However, I still have my drugstore faves and will always be partial to a bloody good bargain!
- This tends to come and go. I don’t always have the time in the evening to workout but I always ensure that I spend at least 40 minutes of my day walking combined with walking to my car after work and going for a walk on my lunch break to get a break from the office. It also helps that my office is now relocated and is on the top floor, so I get to run up and down several flights of stairs to fetch printing, make a cup of tea or dash to the loo.
- I’ve started saying no more when I’m not feeling like doing something and you know what, it actually feels really good!
Now I’ve discussed how my goals for 2017 turned out, shall I move on to what I want to achieve in 2018?
Buy a house:
This one’s quite self-explanatory but we’ve been discussing it for the last couple of years with no real movement towards it but now it looks like it will happen in the not-so-distant future. Fingers crossed!
Travel to even more countries:
I have a bucket list of places I’d like to travel and I’m thinking of writing a blog post on this soon. Even if no one else reads it at least it tracks the places I want to go for me personally.
Complete my MA aside from the dissertation:
Again, self-explanatory and a lot of the reason as to why I find it so hard to actually make time to blog.
Either gain further experience in advertising and marketing or get a new job directly within this field:
I seem to be moving further into the field I want to with my current job which is a good thing but at some point, it would be nice to move on to either work in an agency or in the branding and advertising department of an organisation. I’m currently in the process of receiving further training than I already know and being in charge of updating the company website/social media channels, so hopefully, it’s a step in the right direction!
Read more books that are on my reading list:
I have started trying to go to bed earlier and dedicating at least 20 minutes to reading so at least I’m getting back into it which I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy btw! Also, I find it makes me feel more tired and sleep better rather than scrolling aimlessly through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Likewise, with my travel bucket list, I have a whole list of books I want to get lost in. So I think another blog post on this is calling my name soon.
Work harder on the old blog and actually stick to a schedule:
I miss it so much. Writing is my happy place and something I love getting lost in, likewise with photography. I also feel quite out of the loop with the blogosphere and almost like I’m being left behind. I know that’s something you shouldn’t feel but I can’t exactly call my self a “new blogger” anymore when I’ve been at it for three years.
Keep up with learning languages:
I love learning languages and even if Duolingo can’t make me completely fluent it gives me a good base. Also, it’s always useful if you can speak other languages when gaining a job in marketing or so I am told by MA lecturers.
Take more candid photos to make memories and not just staged ones for Instagram or the blog:
This was something I always used to do and I don’t do enough of it anymore so I think it needs to change as I love looking back at old photos. Quite often I completely forgot something happened until I look back at old photos.
Make time for those who matter:
This is referring to my friends and family. This is the year to let go of toxic friendships and hold onto to those that actually want to make time for me and I want to make with them.
This kind of goes with my point below but I want to cut back on eating sweets and chocolate and drinking fizzy drinks. I seem to be doing okay at this so far so let’s hope I can keep it up for the rest of the year.
Keep up with regular exercise to lose weight and find an active hobby:
Working in an office job means I’m sat down for most of the day and when I’m working hard on my MA it means that I’m sat down for the majority of the evening. Although I wouldn’t refer to myself as overly sporty, I do enjoy exercising whether that’s walking, cycling or swimming. Something I’ve always wanted to get into is dancing so I’d love to find a dance class that’s fun and exciting.
Make more time for self-love:
I never do this as my excuse is always, “Oh well, I’m only going to work tomorrow. Who cares!?” When regardless of what I’m doing, I should do it. The World may carry on going but it doesn’t mean I have to constantly keep up with it and should sometimes just let myself relax and unwind in order for my body to refresh itself.
Actually properly learn to knit and sew:
I love being creative and for years, I’ve been trying to teach myself how to knit and sew and never really properly been able to. So whether it means taking a class, watching plenty of Youtube on this or just keep practicing, I’m setting myself the challenge to actually successfully achieve this this year. Isn’t it just satisfying when you achieve mastering a skill?
I’m looking forward to seeing what I have and haven’t achieved this year. What are your goals for 2018?
Here you can read my goal lists for previous years and what I achieved in them:
- 2017: New Year = New Goals?
- Did I achieve my 2016 Goals?
- 2016 Goals & Resolutions
- 2015 – A Year in a Nutshell